Re: Why is tramp using FTP when I asked for ssh?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Why is tramp using FTP when I asked for ssh?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 07:38:00 +0100

Jack Saba <address@hidden> writes:

> ;(require 'tramp)

The above line is commented out -- maybe this is the problem?  Or is
it only commented out in the email?

> ;; for debugging
> (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
> (setq tramp-verbose 10)
> (setq tramp-auto-save-directory "c:Documents\ and\ Settings/jack/My\
> Documents"

I think "c:/Documents and Settings/jack/My Documents" will do.  But
the backslashes in front of the spaces won't hurt.  Note the slash in
"c:/".

>        tramp-default-method "ssh")
>
> I am not getting any error messages. There is no tramp debug
> buffer. The message buffer contains:
>
> Password for address@hidden: .
> Password for address@hidden: ..
> Password for address@hidden: ........
> Opening FTP connection to nost...done
> Logging in as user address@hidden
> Getting PWD...done

Hm.  C-h v file-name-handler-alist RET should tell the story.  If
Tramp is not mentioned there, then it's probably the commented-out
require statement ;-)

Kai