Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)

From: Peter Woo
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:07:51 +0800

Oops, sorry, I should make it clear that the workaround is from the manual.

However, for my case, the backup problem is not the undesired owner assigned but an invalid filename assigned by tramp. When I set my backup dir to an absolute path, tramp will assign the backup filename inclusive the ":" character and thus invalid.

So, rather than using the workaround, which ends up having "~" suffixed backups all over the places, is it possible to enable tramp to use absolute path backup dir?

Many thanks,
P.

Michael Albinus wrote:

Peter Woo <address@hidden> writes:

I use absolute paths for my backup dir alist.  While it works fine
with ange-ftp alone, it doesn't work when tramp is turned on.

It seems that an invalid backup file name will be returned by the
tramp file handlers and thus a %backup% file is resulted.

I am now using:
(add-to-list 'backup-directory-alist
            (cons tramp-file-name-regexp nil))

to workaround the problem.

Not sure whether a valid backup file name can be yielded.

Problems with backup are discussed in the Tramp manual, chapter
"Auto-save and Backup". Your workaround is presented as solution there.

Many thanks,
Peter.