Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)

From: Peter Woo
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:11:06 +0800

Got you point also. I guess for me, to convince the Emacs maintainers is more applicable to my case because I don't how to code my own function for hooking to tramp... Besides, at files.el level, it probably could solve for all which uses ":" in filenames. I'll check on the Emacs list.

Separately, after further testing, it seems that ":" named files behaves very strangely on Cygwin. The file "test:abc" can be referenced even though you cannot see it anywhere but just "test" when "ls". This seems to explain my 'hidden' file query when using ange-ftp earlier. I'll check that on the Cygwin list.

Many thanks,
P.

I do see your point. Solutions could be also to provide a Tramp
function a user could apply via customizing
`make-backup-file-name-function', or to implement
`find-backup-file-name'. First alternative has more charm to me.

Or convince Emacs maintainers to handle Tramp file names as
well. Currently they are doing the following (see files.el, function
`make-backup-file-name-1'):

;; Normalize DOSish file names: convert all slashes to
;; directory-sep-char, downcase the drive letter, if any,
;; and replace the leading "x:" with "/drive_x".