Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...

From: Nelson E. Ingersoll
Subject: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:53:28 -0600

   I understand that TRAMP will not work with VMS.  I can live with
that.  What I do have a problem with is when I tell TRAMP to get out of
the way and let me use ANGE-FTP it doesn't really get out of the way.

Following TRAMP's documentation I have put

         (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")

into my .emacs file.  I then try something like

     /address@hidden:WORK/MYDIR/MYFILE.TXT

and get a TRAMP error like

"tramp-dissect-file-name: Not a tramp file name: /DISK$USERDISK:/USERNAME/"

The documentation appears to be in error by suggesting that one is not
using TRAMP.  I am specifically referring to the WEB pages at
http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/ and "8 Frequently Asked
Questions"/"How can I disable tramp?".

I work in a mixed shop.  I am testing a newer EmacsW32 which defaults to
using TRAMP.  Previously I have been using GNU Emacs 21.3 for Windows
with ANGE-FTP quite successfully to connect to VMS.  It's clunky but it
does work.

Thank you for your attention.

Nelson Ingersoll

PS - I thought this was a closed email list.  How come there is so much
garbage now?  Is there a way I can help the list?  I act as a filter for
the pilot-db mailing list and daily cull garbage from the list using
SourceForge's maillist manager page.  I've been doing it for at least 2
years.