Re: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...

From: Nelson E. Ingersoll
Subject: Re: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:58:25 -0600

Michael Albinus wrote:
> "Nelson E. Ingersoll" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>    I understand that TRAMP will not work with VMS.  I can live with
>> that.  What I do have a problem with is when I tell TRAMP to get out of
>> the way and let me use ANGE-FTP it doesn't really get out of the way.
>>
>> Following TRAMP's documentation I have put
>>
>>          (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
>>
>> into my .emacs file.  I then try something like
>>
>>      /address@hidden:WORK/MYDIR/MYFILE.TXT
>>
>> and get a TRAMP error like
>>
>> "tramp-dissect-file-name: Not a tramp file name: /DISK$USERDISK:/USERNAME/"
>
> That's an interesting constellation. Because of the "ftp" default
> method, Tramp passes it's function calls to Ange-FTP, and connects
> vmssystem via FTP. You should see it in a corresponding buffer *ftp
> address@hidden But then it expands your local file to the VMS
> notation "/DISK$USERDISK:/USERNAME/", which _looks_ like a remote file
> name again. It tries to expand it, and fails.

   Yes.  That is what I am seeing.

>> The documentation appears to be in error by suggesting that one is not
>> using TRAMP.  I am specifically referring to the WEB pages at
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/ and "8 Frequently Asked
>> Questions"/"How can I disable tramp?".
>
> There are 2 recommendations. The first one is setting
> `tramp-default-method´ to "ftp". This way Tramp is not disabled, but
> all work is passed to Ange-FTP.

   I did this, as noted in my original message, and received the
tramp-dissect-file-name error.

> Disabling Tramp completely shall be achieved by the second
> recommendation "M-x tramp-unload-tramp". You might try this in case
> you want to apply only Ange-FTP.

   After looking at the Ange-FTP lisp code I found in the EmacsW32
(22.0) distribution I question that this recommendation will work.
Simply because, at least in that distribution, Ange-FTP has been
seriously gutted with much functionality now apparently assigned to
Tramp.  Specifically in ange-ftp.el I saw all the file-name parsing code
commented out with a note that Tramp now performs those functions for
Ange-FTP.

   Guess I'm stuck using Emacs 21.3.  <sigh>  Unless I can hack Tramp
into working with OpenVMS at one level or another.  That will probably
not happen as I have only a minor understanding of Lisp.  I couldn't
even figure out how to hack Ange-FTP into UPPER-casing all filenames
when working with VMS.  Of course, to be a little kind to myself, I only
browsed the code once and briefly at that.

- Nelson