Re: tramp listing switches

From: Leo
Subject: Re: tramp listing switches
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:34:53 +0000

On 2007-01-17, Kai Grossjohann said:

> I just peeked at the code, and found this in dired.el (function
> dired-readin):
>
>       ;; This hook which may want to modify dired-actual-switches
>       ;; based on dired-directory, e.g. with ange-ftp to a SysV host
>       ;; where ls won't understand -Al switches.
>       (run-hooks 'dired-before-readin-hook)
>
> And, indeed, dired-readin calls dired-readin-insert, which in turn
> references dired-actual-switches, not dired-listing-switches.
>
> I guess that the comment really means it when it says "modify" --
> probably the value of dired-actual-switches differs based on context,
> so you'll need to write code to modify it, not just set it to a
> constant value every time.
>
> Does that help?

Thank you, Kai. That solved the problem. Seems like a nice feature for
tramp to have. Don't you think?

Here is my current setup:

(add-hook 'dired-before-readin-hook 'sdl:dired-set-remote-listing-switches)
(defun sdl:dired-set-remote-listing-switches ()
  (when (file-remote-p default-directory)
    (setq dired-actual-switches "-al")))