Re: tramp listing switches

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp listing switches
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:53:09 +0100

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

Hello Kai,

>> Here is my current setup:
>>
>> (add-hook 'dired-before-readin-hook 'sdl:dired-set-remote-listing-switches)
>> (defun sdl:dired-set-remote-listing-switches ()
>>   (when (file-remote-p default-directory)
>>     (setq dired-actual-switches "-al")))
>
> I guess if this is to be distributed with Tramp, it should say
> tramp-tramp-file-p instead of file-remote-p.  (Would that work for
> you?)

It depends _whether_ it shall be distributed as part of Tramp.
Offering it in the manual seems to be sufficient to me.

> Also, this uses the same switches regardless of the remote host; but
> presumably different hosts support different switches.  Hm.  An alist
> could be called for.
>
> In German, we call this using cannons to shoot sparrows :-)  In
> English, the words are overkill and over-engineered, I guess.

Yep. I believe if somebody has the need for this, he can expand the
code snippet on his own. I have the feeling that we offer too many
custom options meanwhile; even I am surprised occasionally when
reading parts of the code I'm not so familiar with :-)