Re: tramp (2.6.0.29.1 nil/nil); tramp-sh-handle-get-home-directory shoul

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.6.0.29.1 nil/nil); tramp-sh-handle-get-home-directory should handle user name better
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:26:02 +0200

Warren Lynn <wrn.lynn@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Warren,

> I was upgrading my Emacs from 26.3 to 29.0.91 (I know, a long jump),
> and found some of my "kubel" tramp file path no longer gives me the
> correct home directory. The reason is in tramp "kubel" method, the
> "user name" is actually the container name of a k8 pod, like this:
> kubectl:container-name@my-k8-pod-40051cef-63b8-cf05-7414-56a0b1537acd-1.6h6mwp
>
> Current code will return "~container-name" as the home directory,
> which is wrong.
>
> kubel is a package here:
> https://github.com/abrochard/kubel

Thank you for developing with Tramp!

Just a short first answer, I don't know how much time I'll have over the
weekend.

Tramp integrated in Emacs 29 comes with its own kubernetes method. See
file lisp/net/tramp-container.el. I recommend that you check that
implementation, how useful it will be for you.

Since I don't have too much experience with kubernetes, I'll be happy to
share with you ideas about improvement.

More detailed answers later ...

Best regards, Michael