Re: tramp (2.6.0.29.1 nil/nil); tramp-sh-handle-get-home-directory shoul

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.6.0.29.1 nil/nil); tramp-sh-handle-get-home-directory should handle user name better
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:46:20 +0200

Warren Lynn <wrn.lynn@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Warren,

> Thanks for explaining the rationale behind all of this. Right now the
> hack of overriding " tramp-sh-handle-get-home-directory " works for my
> current need, so I will take that path for now (that's why we all love
> Emacs, right? :-) )

Great, so I guess this thread is closed now.

> It will take me some time to play with the new k8 method in Emacs 29
> tramp. One thing that hooked me to "kubel" (despite its deficiency and
> the need of my adding my own hacks on both tramp and that package
> itself) is it provides more than just a tramp remote access scheme. It
> can show logs, check resources, etc. It manages the pods. I am not
> sure that kind of functionalities are (or should) be in the scope of
> tramp itself.

Definitely not. Tramp has its own scope.

> So ideally I would like to have a solid basic tramp naming/access
> scheme for k8, and another package on top of it for pod management.

Yes. Tramp won't mess with kubel for pod management. I'm not certain
where Tramp extension for kubernetes file name syntax will go, likely
into Emacs 30 / Tramp 2.7. But this won't be a problem, Tramp is
available via ELPA, and when it is stable enough, Tramp 2.7 will be
there.