traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app

From: Niklas Klügel
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:44:56 +0100

Good Morning!

> As I see it the layer concept you mention is conceptually different
> from what is an "AudioClip" in traverso, right?

i think so, yes. basically because AudioClips would be depending on the
content of other AudioClips. but that might be something that can be
added without too much of a hassle.
i haven't been able to play around with traverso, since i cannot
build the development version (lots of undefined
references to rasqal_* from slv2_query*). and the .bin file is linked
against
libc 2.4.

> Though AudioClips can be stacked upon eachother, and the rendering
> order, and curve preservation are things that work currently in
> Traverso, slicing and re-aranging clips based on their place in the
> hierarchical layer..... thats a different story :-) (If I get what
> you're trying to make clear of course)

i think the problem traverso has (as i can see it from the screenshots
and by looking around the code) is that it has no connotation
of beatmeasures and tempo which is essential as soon as you
work on ie. beats.

>> but when you are doing more sophisticated editing you are forced
>> to rely on f/x envelopes and realtime-scopes only. there is no
>> way to get good/relyable visual feedback. and more importantly:
>> you get out of processing power very easily.
>

> I think I followed it up till here, could you please explain this
> in more detail ?

it is quite simple: if you worked on rendered data as soon as possible
while editing
and this data is instantiated as new view,
you would get visual feedback like seeing peaks or frequency shifts.
if you
are cutting stuff up to 1/16 or 1/32 you hear that something might be
wrong
in your arrangement but you can't see for example which beats or
filtersweeps
you added are not tight.

having multitrack-recording out of the box instantly is very good. but
while i would
use such a feature, i think, it would not be the main feature in the
application i have
in mind. i am more concerned about editing and arranging sample data
in the way
a computer allows me to do in pseudo-realtime (as soon as the
audioclip can be rendered).
i planned to have a dependency on clam for example lateron, i think
that would
break with traverso's policy of keeping everything simple and have no
great dependencies.

as you can see i am quite undecided yet :)

so long...
Niklas