traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app

From: Niklas Klügel
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:44:46 +0100

Hey,

well, after playing around with traverso a bit, i must say that the interface is quite fun to use. i really like it, the whole application feels snappy.

I see.
Had some discussion some time ago about time line, and how important it was. From an application point of view, it's just frames (samples, but everyone
calls it frames).

yeah. but in other audio applications, the samples that are imported are tempo-analyzed and automatically stretched to the main-tempo. this comes especially handy when you have tempo changes within one song. tempo changes is something that should not be forgotten but there is a difficulty in visualizing this. usually there is a visible grid in the background of the tracks indicating bars or 1/4 bars etc. those usually have to be stretched or compressed. in ableton live, tempo changes are indicated by this and an envelope over the master channel which can be edited in realtime. so as soon as you dont work with raw sample-frames anymore but use tempo and beat measures, you are forced to implement a comprehensive, flexible visualization as well as general clip-tempo-annotation and interpolation to support the musical timing.

The way how you display it to the user doesn't matter for the application, so
it might be very easy to add other timeline formats, specially if it's
something that is used a lot!
Is it used commonly in audio editors?

yes, of course.

but when you are doing more sophisticated editing you are forced
to rely on f/x envelopes and realtime-scopes only. there is no
way to get good/relyable visual feedback. and more importantly:
you get out of processing power very easily.

I think I followed it up till here, could you please explain this
in more detail ?

it is quite simple: if you worked on rendered data as soon as possible
while editing
and this data is instantiated as new view,
you would get visual feedback like seeing peaks or frequency shifts.
if you
are cutting stuff up to 1/16 or 1/32 you hear that something might be
wrong
in your arrangement but you can't see for example which beats or
filtersweeps
you added are not tight.

In other words, you apply effects directly to your samples, and make
the 'effect' visible?
That would be lovely, though hard to accomplish (too much cpu power needed) on
larger samples hehe.

well it doesn't have to be visible in a way that you see for example the timing
of a reverb added to an audio-clip. i think rendering the clip with
applied f/x and adding it to the trackview is enough. having both
time and frequency domain for samples visualized is enough.
and as i said, most audio calculations dont have to be realtime.

I remember having written that somewhere long time ago. Where did you read
that exactly?

maybe that was an implication from my side ;)

It's more about simplicity in the user interface, then anything else, except
for the code :-)

My experience in recording and editing is very little. What did bother me is that as soon as you open a multitrack audio recording and editing software program, you see lot's of buttons, non-understandable routing things, and
after an hour or so I gave up, no sound, no nothing, crashes: no fun!
(That was even before I discovered Ardour lol, but same thing applies imo)

i dont think the traverso interface is particularily easy for beginners but i think it is astounishingly (?) powerful compared to the interfaces i used. i really like it.

In respect to not depending on external lib's, that's somewhat true. But if
it's very usefull, why not ?
Traverso does depend now on slv2, fftw3, and as a result of those to rasqal
libs and many more.
What I try to avoid is using lib's which functionality is allready in Qt 4 for
example, or with minor effort it can be integrated into Traverso.

well, clam is a _huge_ dependency, especially regarding the dependencies
clam has itself. but maybe this can be solved by moving the dependency to
traverso-plugins or something comparable.

http://mtg.upf.edu/clam/

It would be great if Traverso get more developers, and even more, not yet another sound editor that's just doing things slightly different, but on
the 'core level' they are the same ;-)

i agree, there are currently at least 6 sequencers for linux that are being actively developed which all do to a certain degree the same. the worst is that they all
try to emulate the old skewl tape-deck style audio-editing from the 50s.

so long...
Niklas

Greetings,

Remon

P.S.
It's a bit hard to explain what I have in mind in 1-2 emails, hopefully you
got the idea.