traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Normalized export

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Normalized export
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:53:14 +0200

Remon wrote:
>> Hmm, just found one thing: 1) I tested with a song with a single
>> clip, which I lowered the gain on, then exported with normalize
>> checked. This resulted in a fully normalized file, as it should. 2)
>> Then I exported it without the normalize checkbox, it resulted in a
>>  file with very low gain (perhaps too low, I thought). 3) I then
>> tried to normalize the clip (in the songview) and export it without
>> the normalize checkbox. This should result in the same file as the
>> first one (fully normalized) but it didn't, it resulted in a file
>> with very low gain (but not as low as the second test above).
>
> Hmm, did some tests, but it seems to work fine here. Are you sure the
> Song and Track gain is at 0 dB ?

Actually, I forgot the track gain! =) But, even now, I have song and
track gain at 0 dB, I normalize the single clip in the song, and export
without the normalize-checkbox: It's still not full gain, if I open it
in Audacity it clearly shows (and doing normalize there raises the gain
quite a bit).

>> BTW, perhaps one should instead have a "normalize song" action,
>> which changes the Song Gain according to the same principles as the
>>  normalize-at-export feature above? Then the checkbox at the export
>>  dialog would simply execute this action before export...
>
> Not sure what the difference is between the 2 ?
>
> To calculate the norm factor, you have to render the part that is
> exported, which is exactly what we do now. The seconds pass does the
> same thing, but now applies the norm factor to the rendered audio
> before writing to disk.
>
> Please, enlighten me :D

Yes, but my thought was to apply the song-normalization on the song
gain, just as clip normalization actually changes the clip gain.
Then one could have an action to normalize the song even when not exporting!

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]