viewmail-info

Re: [VM] 8.2.0a: vm-save-message: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] 8.2.0a: vm-save-message: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:18:20 +0100

On 5/19/2011 9:22 AM, Salome Södergran wrote:

I get "vm-save-message: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil"

That looks like a bug. Whenever you get an error message that appears to be from Emacs Lisp (such as "wrong type argument" here), it is best to assume that it is a bug, and send me a vm-submit-bug-report.

The error messages that are given by VM itself would be usually intelligible.

When you file a bug report for this kind of a problem, you can help me by doing a bit of work.

1. The first symbol in the message, such as `vm-save-message' is the Lisp function that gave the error. If you do C-h f on that symbol, you can find out which Lisp file is involved. In this case, it is `vm-save.el'.

2. Do M-x load-library for the .el file in question. This will load the uncompiled code for the function, which can help us track down the problem.

3. Do M-x toggle-debug-on-error, which asks Emacs to enter a debug mode when it runs into errors. When the debug mode is entered, you get a backtrace. Please copy the backtrace into the bug report. (After this you can do M-x toggle-debug-on-error again to turn off debug mode, and continue as normal.)

Hopefully, we won't have too many problems of this kind. Or, I will need to withdraw the release and do more work before coming back. (By the way, a number of our users regularly download the development version and use it in their daily work. If I commit buggy code, usually I get to find out about the problems within hours. It is only the cases that they don't exercise that show up in releases. I take this opportunity to thank these real alpha-testers for their initiative and helpfulness.)

Cheers,
Uday