viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Exchange 2010 IMAP4 & storing "filed"

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Exchange 2010 IMAP4 & storing "filed"
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:04:32 +0100

Kyle Farrell writes:

> I was wondering why my deleted messages where getting cleared, then I
> realized what was happening: I'd read, reply, file, and delete my
> mail.  Messages are marked "\deleted" and "filed" (or another imap
> label Exchange doesn't recognize such as "junk").  Since Exchange
> can't store the flag, the command fails so none of the flags are being
> stored.  VM then syncs flags from the server, so my deleted flag is
> cleared from my inbox since the server rejected the store command.

Here is the work-around for this problem.

1. Set `vm-imap-sync-on-get' to nil, so that VM doesn't attempt to save
attributes when you get new mail.

2. Set `vm-expunge-before-save' and `vm-expunge-before-quit' to `t' so that
the deleted messages are expunged before saving.

3. Set `vm-delete-after-saving' to `t' so that filed messages get deleted.

4. Use `s' to save folders. Or you can quit using `q' which does an
automatic save.

5. I suppose you will refrain from adding any labels to messages because VM
will attempt to save them to the server, which will then misbehave.  (The
"junk" flag is not created by VM.  You will need to figure out how it got
there.)

6. There will still be some VM-specific flags such as "forwarded" and
"redistributed" which Exchange won't understand.  Hopefully, they won't be
too many to get into trouble with Exchange.

As I have said before, I am happy to make VM resilient so that it doesn't
break when the server misbehaves.  But I haven't yet received a proper bug
report that explains how VM is breaking.

Cheers,
Uday