viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Exchange 2010 IMAP4 & storing "filed"

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Exchange 2010 IMAP4 & storing "filed"
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:35:13 -0400

Uday> John Stoffel writes:
>> which tells me that MS doesn't want to support extra flags.

Uday> That is not the point.  To repeat what I wrote to you several months ago:

Uday>     The IMAP standard (RFC 3501) says:

Uday>     59) It is not an error for the client to store a flag that is not in
Uday>     the PERMANENTFLAGS list; however, the server will either ignore the
Uday>     change or make the change in the session only.

Uday>     So, unfortunately, your Exchange server is not adhering to the
standard.
Uday>     Please do complain to whoever is running your Exchange server.

Uday> You haven't said whether a complaint has been made to Microsoft.

I have NOT made a complaint to MS, since I doubt it will do anything.
And since when has not following the spec been a new thing for
Microsoft?

Uday> Not only is Exchange giving an error message where it shouldn't,
Uday> but it is also forcibly disconnecting you after a few attempts.
Uday> That is quite a misbehaviour if you ask me!

Yup, I agree 100%.  But the chances of MS making a change is much less
than getting you to make the fix from the VM side.  I hope. *grin*

Uday> You guys are paying good money to Microsoft.  Why don't you get
Uday> on their backs?  Make them earn their living.

I wish I could, I really do.  And maybe I will be forced down this
route.  But for now, since I have the source, it's more likely I'll
learn elisp and hack the code myself to fix this issue.

Yes, I know they're abusing the standard, but I can't fix that.

John