viewmail-info

Re: [VM] trouble starting vm in emacs 23

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] trouble starting vm in emacs 23
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:31:44 +0100

Michael writes:

> Running Emacs 23.4.1 on Debian testing. Downloaded bbdb 3 and vm-8.2.0b.
> When trying to start vm with M-x vm, I get the following:
> symbol's value as variable is void: bbdb-define-all-aliases-field

BBDB 3 has not been released yet.  You are welcome to try it, but please be
prepared to struggle.  Otherwise, you are better off sticking to BBDB 2.

My setup for BBDB 3 is as follows:

(require 'bbdb)
(if (locate-library "bbdb-loaddefs")
    (require 'bbdb-loaddefs
             (substitute-in-file-name "$BBDBDIR/lisp/bbdb-loaddefs.el")))
(bbdb-initialize 'vm)
(setq bbdb-file "~/.bbdb3")

Cheers,
Uday