viewmail-info

Re: [VM] trouble starting vm in emacs 23

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: [VM] trouble starting vm in emacs 23
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:12:11 -0400

Michael <address@hidden> writes:

> Running Emacs 23.4.1 on Debian testing. Downloaded bbdb 3 and vm-8.2.0b.
> When trying to start vm with M-x vm, I get the following:
> symbol's value as variable is void: bbdb-define-all-aliases-field
>
> This is a new install of emacs, bbdb, and vm...nothing carried over from
> previous version.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> btw- I have bbdb working on gnus.

bbdb-define-all-aliases-field isn't used in vm, so it must be some other
package or your configuration files. Do you use a bbdb addition like
bbdb-vcard? A number of bbdb function names have changed between bbdb2 and
bbdb3. The new name for bbdb-define-all-aliases-field is bbdb-mail-alias-field.
Here is the (complete?) list of changes:

bbdb-record-putprop => bbdb-record-setfield
bbdb-record-Notes => bbdb-record-xfields
bbdb-record-set-Notes => bbdb-record-set-xfields
bbdb-record-company => bbdb-record-organization
bbdb-get-field => bbdb-record-field
bbdb-record-notes => bbdb-record-xfields
bbdb-get-field => bbdb-record-field
bbdb-record-getprop => bbdb-record-xfield
bbdb-define-all-aliases-field => bbdb-mail-alias-field
bbdb-record-raw-notes => bbdb-record-xfields
bbdb-phone-location => bbdb-phone-label
bbdb-address-location => bbdb-address-label
bbdb-address-zip => bbdb-address-postcode

There are also some cases where a bbdb field has become a list (instead
of a comma separated field) and preferably bbdb-record-field record
field (e.g. address) should be used instead of bbdb-record-<field> and
bbdb-record-set-<field> => bbdb-record-set-field

--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/