Re: [vile] Odd cursor problem after hitting end of file

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Odd cursor problem after hitting end of file
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:03:53 -0500

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:08:40AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> What you describe is what vile used to do for me.
>
> If you take the cursor explicitly to the end of the line and then j/k

explicitly using a '$'.
If I use 'l', repeatedly, that won't set the goal-column flag.

> up  and down the file then the cursor stays at the end of whatever
> line you stop at.  However if the cursor is at the start of the line
> when you j/k then it stays at the start of the line.
>
> What I'm seeing is that the cursor takes itself to the end of the line
> whenever you hit end-of-file or start-of-file.  It doesn't happen
> actually when you hit the end/start, the cursor stays at the start of

What keys are you using to go to end of file?
I was using 'G'.  Checking, #E gives a similar result (the expected one).

> the line until you j/k away from the end, then it immediately goes to
> the end of the line next to the start/end line.  This is only
> happening on my Solaris builds of vile, it happens on both vile and
> xvile though.

I built 9.5f on Solaris this morning, don't see a problem there either.
(I looked at 9.2, 9.3 and 9.5 last night, on Linux).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net