Re: [vile] Solaris build error when using ncurses

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Solaris build error when using ncurses
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:10:43 +0000

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:27:16PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Chris Green wrote:
>
> >This is on Solaris 2.6.  If I ./configure with --with-ncurses and then
> >compile I get undefined symbols from the iconv library:-
> >
> >   Undefined                       first referenced
> >    symbol                             in file
> >   libiconv                            tcap.o
> >   libiconv_open                       tcap.o
> >   libiconv_close                      tcap.o
> >   ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to vile
> >   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >   *** Error code 1
> >   make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `vile'
> >
> >Taking the --with-ncurses out stops the above error even though
> >../configure still says "checking for iconv... yes".
>
> google suggests that the problem may be that the configure script
> is finding a different iconv.h than the one in /usr/include -- I'm
> not sure which one (a quick check on the systems I can see right now
> doesn't show an example which would do this).  The -I options in CPPFLAGS
> or CFLAGS would give a clue.

I have installed the libiconv from SunFreeware which like all my
'personal' installations go into /proj/chris.  I also always configure
with prefix=/proj/chris so the configure script finds the iconv.h in
/proj/chris/include without further parameters to configure.  However one
would then expect it to find the iconv library too which is, of course,
in /proj/chris/lib.  It all works without any problems for ncurses and
other things that I have also installed in /proj/chris so it does seem
that there is something amiss with iconv.

I don't use any explicit settings of CPPFLAGS or CFLAGS.

--
Chris Green (address@hidden)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."