Re: [vile] Solaris build error when using ncurses

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Solaris build error when using ncurses
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:13:54 -0500

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:10:43AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:27:16PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > >This is on Solaris 2.6.  If I ./configure with --with-ncurses and then
> > >compile I get undefined symbols from the iconv library:-
> > >
> > >   Undefined                       first referenced
> > >    symbol                             in file
> > >   libiconv                            tcap.o
> > >   libiconv_open                       tcap.o
> > >   libiconv_close                      tcap.o
> > >   ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to vile
> > >   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > >   *** Error code 1
> > >   make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `vile'
> > >
> > >Taking the --with-ncurses out stops the above error even though
> > >../configure still says "checking for iconv... yes".
> >
> > google suggests that the problem may be that the configure script
> > is finding a different iconv.h than the one in /usr/include -- I'm
> > not sure which one (a quick check on the systems I can see right now
> > doesn't show an example which would do this).  The -I options in CPPFLAGS
> > or CFLAGS would give a clue.
> >
> I have installed the libiconv from SunFreeware which like all my
> 'personal' installations go into /proj/chris.  I also always configure
> with prefix=/proj/chris so the configure script finds the iconv.h in
> /proj/chris/include without further parameters to configure.  However one

well - "--prefix" isn't supposed to affect where the configure script
finds things, but my configure scripts may (for particularly troublesome
libraries - FreeBSD ports is a glaring example) search that location.

> would then expect it to find the iconv library too which is, of course,
> in /proj/chris/lib.  It all works without any problems for ncurses and
> other things that I have also installed in /proj/chris so it does seem
> that there is something amiss with iconv.

Or there could be something to improve in vile's configure script.
The CF_FUNC_ICONV macro in aclocal.m4 is assuming that the library
may need a -L option, but does not add a -I option.  It tries several
different directories and as indicated above, uses CF_SUBDIR_PATH to
find the library in /proj/chris/lib

Perhaps a subsequent configure check adds a -I option which picks up
a different iconv.h -- I might be able to see this if I had the
config.log and config.status files from the build.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net