Re: [vile] Incompatibility of crypt option between different builds

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Incompatibility of crypt option between different builds
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:31:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Chris G wrote:

I am in the process of moving from Slackware 11 to Fedora 7.

I use the -k option in vile to encrypt some files and files encrypted
with the Slackware version of vile that I built are not compatible
with the Fedora 7 version of vile that I have just recently built.
Both are the same version of vile (9.5o + patches) but it would seem
that the different libraries on the two systems mean that crypt
doesn't do the same thing.

'man crypt' on both systems produces exactly the same man page, the
only thing I can think of that might be different is that my Fedora 7
system is 64-bit and the Slackware system was 32-bit.

I'm not sure either - it may be in vile, or may be in the libraries.

It "should" be portable though, from what I recall of the underlying
library source...

I might be able to investigate this (don't have a 64-bit Linux, but can
do some testing on a couple of unix boxes).

If I run the Slackware vile executable on the Fedora system (it works
OK because I have 32-bit compatibility libraries installed) then the
encrypted files are decrypted correctly.  That's a usable workaround
for the moment but I'd ratehr like to know what's causing the
incompatibility.

--
Chris Green