[vile] Re: Covering vile in O'Reilly's "Learning the vi Editor"

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: [vile] Re: Covering vile in O'Reilly's "Learning the vi Editor"
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:24:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Andy Oram wrote:

(This is a resend, in case my original email got lost.)

O'Reilly is updating this classic text and would like to make sure the
chapter on vile is still correct. The new edition of the book will
add several chapters on vim because of its popularity, but we want to
keep what we have on other versions of vi up to date as well. Can you
help us with vile?

yes - the content is largely correct, but of course there are additions.

We're hoping that someone on the team can quickly approve the material
in the chapter and update whatever needs updating. We don't want to
expand the chapter, but preserve the scope it has now.

hmm - the version 6 was 1998 (most of the syntax highlighting and related code was after that point, for instance). I made a list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_(editor)

which gives a rough outline.

I've attached the source of the chapter (XML format) and viewable
output in PostScript. The authors of the new edition are on the CC line.

Andy Oram  O'Reilly Media                     email: address@hidden
Editor     10 Fawcett Street                       voice: 617-499-7479
          Cambridge, MA 02138-1175                  fax: 617-661-1116
          USA                         http://www.praxagora.com/andyo/
Stories at Web site:
The Bug in the Seven Modules     Code the Obscure     The Disconnected

Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net