Re: [vile] OpenLook (for xvile)

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] OpenLook (for xvile)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:40:25 +0100

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 06:24:43AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Chris G wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:12:23PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone still use this?  I'm aware that Sun broke the build for it
>>> quite a while ago - around Solaris 7 - but I'm curious if anyone's using
>>> it.  If not, I'll remove it.
>>>
>> I think I'm one of the few people using [x]vile on Solaris here but I
>> use Motif for preference.
>
> That's what I would expect (though I find the Athena version nicer since
> it's easier to drag the divider between panes).  I recall the OpenLook
> version as not performing as fast as Motif (though nicer to look at). But
> aside from a Solaris 7 on one of my older machine's partitions, I don't
> have a way to test it.
>
> Sun hacked up their header files for OpenLook (a while ago...) so they
> wouldn't compile unless I added a special #define.  That worked until the
> next "upgrade", when the resulting program would not layout the screen
> properly.
>
> The versions I use most are vile in xterm and winvile...

In fact now I come to think of it I'm not using xvile on Solaris
at all now, if you remember I started a thread about 'remote' vileget
etc. and the problems of a mix of Solaris 2.6 and 2.8 machines.
After faffing about I now run xvile on my local Fedora 7 desktop
machine and run vileget from the Solaris boxes using ssh.  It's a
bit convoluted and messy but mostly easier than trying to keep a
working xvile on a mix of rather badly maintained Solaris machines.
I still run vile on Solaris, at work I'm still mostly rxvt/xterm
though I may switch to gnome-terminal soon as I have at home.

--
Chris Green