Re: [vile] Warning message on exit from xvile

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Warning message on exit from xvile
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:25:01 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 05:09:59PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> I have reported this before but now I have noticed a further oddity.
>
> When I exit from xvile using the keyboard, i.e. if I enter ':q',
> ':quit' or 'ZZ' then I get the warning message:-
>
>     Warning: XtRemoveGrab asked to remove a widget not on the list
>
> on the calling terminal.  However (this is the new oddity) if I use
> the default menu's 'Quit' then I don't see this warning.
>
> As far as I can see looking at vilemenu.rc clicking on 'Quit' just
> issues a quit command, so why don't I get the warning when I do this?
>
> It would be nice to get rid of the warning as sometimes it appears in
> the middle of a screen of useful information.

The warning happens in the XtDestroyWidget() in x_close() in x11.c

A quick check seems to show that call is not necessary since the
XtCloseDisplay() right after it does the right thing.  Originally
we had the destroy, added the close in 1999 to work with newer
X libraries.

Without tracing the X libraries (perhaps...), I don't see the reason
for the warning.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net