Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz

From: Paul van Tilburg
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:04:05 +0200

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:20:55PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>>> My xterm behaves oddly.. compose key usages seems to result in
>>> no chars being inputted at all, but I can copy & paste UTF-8 chars
>>> into the xterm (shell prompt).
>
> I dimly recall some comment regarding gnome-terminal and compose keys.
> google finds this, which indicates that it can do that, but isn't by
> default:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2006-January/063131.html
>
> However, this seems to say it's not:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/98945
>
> (xterm uses a different set of libraries than gnome for this, so it'll
> be broken by a different set of developers ;-)

Compose (Multi_key) works fine for me in GNOME terminal, just not in xterm,
dunno way.. anyway, I can copy&paste when needed.

>>> Anyway, if I edit the file attached, both in xterm and gnome-terminal
>>> with the above shown locales I see:
>
>>> Accents: \?E9\?F3\?E1\?ED
>>> Dashes: – —
>>>
>>> (So the en- and em-dash (U2013, U2014) are shown correctly, but the vowels
>>> with accents are not).
>
> That sounds as if it's in the same general area as the fix I made for
> pound sign.  The dashes are codes that cannot be mistaken for Latin-1.
> Setting unicode-as-hex for your testfile, I see
>
> Accents: \u00E9\u00F3\u00E1\u00ED
> Dashes: \u2013 \u2014

I see this too!

> One oddity that I can see at the moment is that using :show-printable,
> the second column using your locale settings is showing things like \?FA,
> where the en_US.UTF-8 that I normally use is showing the Latin-1 code.
> (I expect the latter).  I'll investigate that - it might be part of the
> problem.

I seem them as \xFA.  But that's probably because I opened the testfile and vile
jumped to utf-8 mode.

Paul

--
PhD Student @ Eindhoven                     | email: address@hidden