Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:55:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

That jogs my mind a little here - an assumption built into the locale
code that stripping ".UTF8" off will yield a "narrow" locale.  But I
seem to recall that it's an alias which usually but not always gives
that result.

Here's what I have in my /etc/locale.gen for nl_NL and en_US lines:

nl_NL ISO-8859-1
nl_NL.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

Here is mine:

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
nl_NL.UTF-8 UTF-8

So maybe that's why the normal latin{1,9} stuff isn't working?

yes - I don't have the whole picture in my head, but not having the narrow locale installed will prevent vile from constructing that. Since I'm developing both wide/narrow code for ncurses, etc., I install the useful flavors of whatever locales I'm testing. So it "just works" when I run vile.

For this situation, it would be reasonable to have vile make a fallback to ISO-8859-1. (I have in mind that the Cyrillic stuff may need some attention as well).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net