Re: [vile] Error finding

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] Error finding
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:33:14 -0400

paul van tilburg wrote:
 > On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 08:28:08AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
 > > On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
 > >> This works great but, because I'm no longer calling LaTeX from within
 > >> vile, the "error finder" does not work anymore.  However, the
 > >> watch-and-compile system drops an error file when compiling (so when
 > >> editin foo.tex, it creates foo.err).
 > >> My macro skills are still limited, so I wanted to ask you for some
 > >> pointers on how I can pull in the error file and use the error finder as
 > >> I was used to?
 > >
 > > It sounds essentially as if you need a macro that loads the file and sets
 > > the error-buffer to it.  Here's a quick try at it - seems to work:
 > >
 > > store-procedure layers
 > >         ~local %cbufname
 > >         setv %cbufname $cbufname
 > >         ~quiet edit-file 'foo.err'
 > >         error-buffer 'foo.err'
 > >         buffer %cbufname
 > > ~endm
 >
 > Ok, that works, thanks. It is a start though, because there are a few issues.
 > If the filename is longer than 20 (?) chars, the buffername will not
 > match the filename anymore.
 > Also, when I save, the LaTeX file is recompiled, the .err file is
 > replaced but vile doesn't notice that.  I can switch to it, answer yes
 > to the reload?  question, switch back and then use ^X-^X again.  Is
 > there any way to automate this in the sense that..  where should I hook
 > that up?

i sort of missed the beginning of this thread -- i guess the
compilation step isn't being done as a result of a command you
run explicitly?  if it were, then i'd wrap the command in a script
which simply cats the .err file as output.  then you'd be back
to using the normal error-finder mechanism.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 67.8 degrees)