[vile] Is there something special about J[oin], or "why can't I do this?

From: Chris G
Subject: [vile] Is there something special about J[oin], or "why can't I do this?"
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:26:21 +0100

I have a file which has a series of CRLF sequences in that I want to
change to a comma followed by a space.

When viewed in vile (as expected) the CRs appear as ^M so it seemed to
me that if I execute (on the command line, i.e. after entering :) the
following:-

    g/
/J

I should get what I want.  However it doesn't work, vile doesn't seem
to accept the J, it just echoes it and then refuses to accept any more
input.  Why isn't J acceptable there and, more to the point, how can I
do what I want to do?

--
Chris Green