Re: [vile] Is there something special about J[oin], or "why can't I do t

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there something special about J[oin], or "why can't I do this?"
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:38:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Chris G wrote:

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:36:36PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:26:21PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
I should get what I want.  However it doesn't work, vile doesn't seem
to accept the J, it just echoes it and then refuses to accept any more
input.  Why isn't J acceptable there and, more to the point, how can I
do what I want to do?

You want a lower-case "j", i.e. the ex join command.

No, that doesn't work, I tried it.  I think (see my further postings)
that only a few commands work with :g and join isn't one of them.

You can see the available commands by doing a name-completion (usually
double-tab).  vile checks the command after it's read, to see if it has
the GLOBOK flag (internal) set.  It would be nicer if it only prompted
for the names that have the flag set...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net