Re: [vile] Is it possible to map Escape to something else?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Is it possible to map Escape to something else?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:22:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Chris G wrote:
>
> > I'd like to use my ssh connection to my E-Mail with my shiny new Nokia
> > E71, however it's rather difficult to send ESC.  Is there any way to
> > change vile so that one can use another key instead of ESC?
>
> Reading the code, I'd try binding another key to the abort-command
> function.
>
> (I don't recall why it's not in set-terminal; perhaps that seemed
> redundant).

i think it's because "set-terminal" is for settings that come
directly from the tty driver.  ESC is purely an application-level
binding.

well yes, it started that way. But we've got name-completion and the mini-buffer toggle there.

Since there's a way to set it by binding, adding it to set-terminal would probably be confusing, but there should be some comment in the help about
the escape character (probably in the section on set-terminal ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net