[vile] compiling on OSX with proper resizing

From: Daniel Ashbrook
Subject: [vile] compiling on OSX with proper resizing
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:14:04 -0500

I'm trying to compile the latest vile on OSX. The vile that one can get
from Fink (http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/vile) is pretty
out of date (9.4), but has the very nice property that when you resize
the Terminal window, vile realizes and resizes its content.
Unfortunately, I can't get that to happen when I compile it myself.

The configure flags for the Fink package's version, according to the
above page, are:

  --mandir=%p/share/man --with-locale  --with-ncurses

The only thing that I assume would make the difference is
--with-ncurses, so I tried that, but no dice (it doesn't work without
that flag, either). It's possible my ncurses is too old; I'm using the
stock version that comes with OSX, which is 5.5.20051010.

Any advice?

Thanks,

dan