Re: [vile] compiling on OSX with proper resizing

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] compiling on OSX with proper resizing
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:48:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Daniel Ashbrook wrote:

I'm trying to compile the latest vile on OSX. The vile that one can get
from Fink (http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/vile) is pretty
out of date (9.4), but has the very nice property that when you resize
the Terminal window, vile realizes and resizes its content.
Unfortunately, I can't get that to happen when I compile it myself.

The configure flags for the Fink package's version, according to the
above page, are:

 --mandir=%p/share/man --with-locale  --with-ncurses

The only thing that I assume would make the difference is
--with-ncurses, so I tried that, but no dice (it doesn't work without
that flag, either). It's possible my ncurses is too old; I'm using the
stock version that comes with OSX, which is 5.5.20051010.

Any advice?

It's probably because OSX hides the #define for SIGWINCH inside an ifdef.
I did fixes in xterm and ncurses for this; looks like I didn't apply
that to vile (it's implemented as a configure check which determines the
system's value of SIGWINCH and adds it as a -D option to the compiler
flags).

I do have pending (incomplete) edits for the next version of vile,
but this change would only be the configure script (and configure.in,
aclocal.m4 which you don't need to build).  If it helps, I can probably
upload a configure script that you could try on OSX this evening...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net