Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting in

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting into vile, OK otherwise.
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 00:31:48 +1100

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 11:36:22AM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
>>> What Paul is saying, is that if Tom were to provide vile-9.7j.tar.gz
>>> then the process would be simpler.
>
> I suppose it would be possible to make a script that generates the Debian
> package script, by scanning the vile/patches directory, etc.  Based on
> comments for the various packages, I don't think I've run into anyone
> doing just that though -

While I mentioned that it would be simpler the current process is not
onerous for the Debian maintainer, just not well documented.

It is occasionally tricky when patches include instructions to remove
files (since such patches are not reversible), but my general process
for building a package consisted of:

  1. New patch:
      a) cd vile-M.m/debian/patches
      b) wget ftp://invisible-island.net/vile/patches/vile-M.mp.patch.gz
      c) gunzip vile-M.mp.patch.gz
      d) cd ../..
      e) debian/rules unpatch patch
      f) dch -v M-n-p1

  2. New up stream version:
      a) wget -O vile_M.m.orig.tar.gz
ftp://invisible-island.net/vile/vile-M.m.tgz
      b) tar xzf vile_M.m.orig.tar.gz
      c) cd vile-M.m
      d) cp -r ../vile-P.p/debian . # P.p is the previous version
      e) rm debian/patches/vile-*.patch
      f) debian/rules patch
      g) dch -v M.n-1