Re: [vile] vile-9.7q.patch.gz

From: Steven Lembark
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.7q.patch.gz
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:16:28 -0400

On Wed, 27 May 2009 05:59:27 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> I see.  Is there a good reason for making dot-files 0664?  (I don't
> do that of course; I do recall some pre-configured accounts setting
> umask of 002, though it's easy to find opinions against that).

Fairly common setup:

- Users have private group -- default group
  usually matches their username).

- umask is set to 002;

- home directory is 02750 or 02755.

Result is that sandbox dir's can be shared
by creating a common group, setting the dir
02770. Since all of the contents are owned
by the common group, the 022 umask allows
everyone with access to the sandbox to modify
its contents.

That's why people need the private group: to
keep their ~ files private.

--
Steven Lembark                                            85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing                                 Woodhaven, NY, 11421