Re: [vile] online help-file

From: J. Chris Coppick
Subject: Re: [vile] online help-file
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:25:07 -0600

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009, Paul Fox wrote:
>
>> thomas wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm considering moving vile.hlp to html (and generating the vile.hlp
>> > file used within the editor from that).  Here's a very first try at
>> > converting it (no hyperlinks yet):
>> >
>> > http://invisible-island.net/vile/vile-hlp.html

I think this will break the Help extension, but that's not the end
of the world.  Someone remind me to fix it later.

>> good idea.
>>
>> clearly the html version needs a table of contents.  i think it would
>> be good for the text version too, since at least one could search for
>> the strings one finds there.
>
> agreed.  Though (looking for feedback), it seems that if the contents is
> at the beginning, it can take a lot of space and make it hard to start,
> though on the other hand if it's at the end, it's less accessible).

Currently for a TOC, I just type :help<TAB><TAB> and the Help module
combined with auto-completion shows me all the sections.  For reading
outside of Vile though, a proper TOC would be a must.

   Chris