Re: [vile] Vile console glitches

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Vile console glitches
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:00:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Brendan MacDonell wrote:

Hello,

I've recently moved back from xvile to using vile on the terminal in
order to take advantage of GNU screen for REPL interaction.
Unfortunately a few things seem to have broken, either on my machine
specifically (using glibc 2.10.1 and ncurses 5.7, for anyone
attempting to replicate my problems), or in vile (9.7x locally) in
general. These console-related problems are:

1. Setting the color scheme doesn't seem to have any effect - the
$palette updates and displays properly in the show-colors display, but
the colors remain the same. This still works properly in xvile though.

I do use the color schemes frequently (mostly in xterm, cygwin or winvile) and had thought that the terminal-drivers were more reliable than xvile in that area (I recall that some of the cases for background coloring in xvile don't fit well into that).

2. SIGWINCH seems to be handled improperly no matter the controlling
terminal, which results in numerical garbage trailing behind the
cursor across the display. Again, xvile's behavior when resizing
remains correct.

A quick check (in xterm) with terminfo or ncurses driver seems okay
here.  Is this while in insert mode, etc?

If these aren't known error, or aren't even affecting anyone else,
I'll probably dive in and try to find the problem when I have time,
though I thought it might be a good idea to find out if anyone knows
more about them first.

well, more details would help me to see the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan MacDonell