Re: [vile] Cannot ':q"uit out of Windows7

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Cannot ':q"uit out of Windows7
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:15:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:35:26 -0500
Stefan Caunter <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
vile.exe does open some console-window resources to run, and I'm guessing
that cmd.exe is clobbering some part of that before you try to tell vile.exe
to exit. __(In that case, you still should be able to hit it with the task
manager).

I haven't looked for vile.exe in taskmgr.exe - I close cmd.exe with mouse.

I tried this out, using the vile.exe in cmd.exe ans see the same error.  When
I entered :q in vile.exe the 'q' appeared in the command window at the bottom
but it never went away.  It actually looks like vile.exe tries to exit but has
no success because vile.exe still shows up in taskmanager.

Killing vile.exe in taskmanager leaves cmd.exe with what appears to
be vile.exe still running and hitting CR in cmd.exe seems to not do
anything.

I had to kill cmd.exe.

hmm (I'm stuck here, since I don't have that configuration).  On closing,
vile does stuff like this (which hasn't changed for quite a while):

    SetConsoleTextAttribute(hConsoleOutput, originalAttribute);
    if (hOldConsoleOutput) {
        TRACE(("...restoring screen buffer\n"));
        SetConsoleActiveScreenBuffer(hOldConsoleOutput);
        CloseHandle(hConsoleOutput);
    }
    SetConsoleCtrlHandler(nthandler, FALSE);
    SetConsoleMode(hConsoleInput, ENABLE_LINE_INPUT | ENABLE_ECHO_INPUT |
ENABLE_PROCESSED_INPUT);

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net