Re: [vile] utf-8 newbie

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] utf-8 newbie
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:53:56 +0100

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 09:50:47AM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> i guess if gcc is going to start putting UTF-8 in its error messages,
> it's time for me to figure out how to display them.  sigh.  it's been
> a good run.  :-)
>
> i think my problem is simple.  simple xterm doesn't solve it, but
> uxterm does, and the gcc error messages look fine.  running vile under
> uxterm isn't so successful.  i unset printing-low/high hoping that the
> defaults for everything else would do the right thing, but i still get
> \xNN escapes:
>     foo.c: In function \xE2\x80\x98ec_write\xE2\x80\x99:
> that's true with file-encoding set to locale (the default), auto,
> or 8-bit.
>
> if i change file-encoding to "utf-8" i get:
>     foo.c: In function \u2018ec_write\u2019:
> which maybe is better, but i think i'm on the wrong track.
>
> i have LC_ALL=C and LANG=en_US.UTF-8 set.  i'm running vile-9.7zd
> (because that's what came with ubuntu maverick.  i can build a newer
> version if that will help).

I am using 9.8 but I'm not sure if that's significant.

In vile everything UTF-8 works perfectly, in xvile it mostly does except
for the odd *entry* problems I just reported.

I have the following settings:-

    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf8
    LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

I can't rememember when/why I did that LC_CTYPE setting but maybe it
might help you.

--
Chris Green