Re: [vile] utf-8 newbie

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] utf-8 newbie
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:18:35 -0400

thomas wrote:

 > perhaps this - easy to check:
 >
 > until 9.8d/e, vile would rely upon having (installed in the system) locale
 > data for en_US and en_US.UTF-8, which was workable for several years until
 > Ubuntu (and others, though iirc, Ubuntu was the first) reduced their
 > locale support.
 >
 > In 9.8d, I added a builtin table (about 70kb) to provide that information
 > (but there was a remaining bug that I fixed in 9.8e).
 >
 > If "locale -a" doesn't list en_US, that's the first place to consider.

locale -a reports en_US.utf8 but not en_US.  i see that even upgrading
to ubuntu natty would only get me vile 9.8d, so i guess i should build
a copy.

 > On other fronts, someone's packaged vile for Fedora, but (the last I

excellent!

 > checked a couple of weeks ago), it's got a problem with the library
 > path, making most syntax filters fail to load.  It's a nuisance when I
 > update with yum, since my working package gets overwritten.  So I have a
 > to-do to write a comparable (but working) rpm spec...
 >
 > At the moment I'm working on dialog, expecting to go to xterm next - based
 > on how big my backlog is - sorry for being slow to get back to vile
 > (dialog has a lot of work due to the recent adoption in FreeBSD).

i know there were reasons in the past that you didn't publish your
source tree(s) -- is that still true?  i'm sure i'm not the only one
that would appreciate being able to see the current state-of-the-code.
actually, what i want it for more often is for historical stuff --
"when did that change happen that i didn't notice at the time?"

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 53.6 degrees)