Re: [vile] 9.8h and +'command' or -c 'command'

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] 9.8h and +'command' or -c 'command'
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:15:23 -0400

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:09:36AM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On 21 September 2012 09:57, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > hmm: parameters for "-s", "-t" and the "source" can have embedded blanks
> > since they're unambiguously single-valued, and a blank would be legal.
> >
> > A blank in the "-g" value would always be an error.
> >
> > (the change to execute-named-command is a problem that's not so simple to
> > improve other than a revert)
>
> Would conditionally quoting the value only for +/pat or -c/pat not work?

a search command is relatively simple to recognize.

vile doesn't honor patterns in a range, e.g.,
        /search/,/break/p
so that part's still relatively simple.

The breakage is due to the change in setup_command, which doesn't
allow for anything with arguments.  Deciding how to quote arguments
would be hard if we're talking about something like the map command
(which could have escaped whitespace).  So a special case to allow
for search commands might be sufficient.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net