Re: [vile] Switch for handling of whitespace on J

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Switch for handling of whitespace on J
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 04:38:40 -0400

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:23:02PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> thomas wrote:
>  >
>  > So... thinking this is a new feature request, the question comes up:
>  > what's the most useful way to extend this.  There are 3 choices
>  > embedded here:
>  >
>  >    a) join without inserting a space
>  >    b) insert two spaces
>  >    c) insert single space
>  >
>  > We could add three corresponding mode values (whether character-class,
>  > regular expression or whatever):
>  >
>  >    join-zero-spaces
>  >    join-two-spaces
>  >    join-one-spaces
>  >
>  > and then you'd only have to have set something like
>  >
>  >    join-zero-spaces={whatever makes no matches}
>  >    join-two-spaces={whatever makes no matches}
>  >    join-one-spaces={nonspace as is done already}
>  >
>  > Regular expressions might be overkill, but would at least be consistent
>  > with everything else in vile.  Character classes haven't been used as
>  > mode-values (yet), but would be close to the current logic.  (The syntax
>  > and semantics would differ - gotta choose one or the other at design time).
>
> and i _think_ this might allow for extending the two-space rule, so
> that one doesn't end up with two spaces after mr. or mrs. or st. etc.
> (i used to include "i.e." and "e.g." in that list, until you pointed
> out that correctly they're both always followed by a comma.  that made
> my editing life much happier.  :-)

agreed (though I seem to recall some disagreement from someone on lynx-dev
who insisted that the comma was incorrect in British :-)

I don't see any need to generalize the "two" into some other number,
though having 3 explicit references to a count seems as if vile should
instead support some type of array of numbers for this (again probably
overkill...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net