Re: [vile] [Too many levels of files]

From: Wayne Cuddy
Subject: Re: [vile] [Too many levels of files]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:22:34 -0400

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 02:44:02PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 01:37:01PM -0400, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> > When running vile on OpenBSD is seems there is something that is
> > triggering the message [Too many levels of files] to appear in the
> > status line at the bottom.
>
> That will happen if there's more than 9 levels of macros.
> (It's hardcoded - hasn't been a need to make it configurable).
>
> > I typically run vile on Linux (primarily), HP-UX and recently
> > OpenBSD. I only ever see this message on OpenBSD and it seems to be
> > triggered by some key sequence but I can't for the life of me figure
> > out what is causing it.
>
> offhand, the only thing that comes to mind is some macro which is
> recurring, e.g., by calling itself.

I use the same configuration on all my systems and I don't "think" I have
any macros that do that. Once the [Too many ...] message appears does
that mean that the execution would terminate? If I hit escape and it
aborts I'm wondering why the message appears again within a few seconds.

I'll try running with '-D' to see if I notice anything interesting if it
happens again.