Re: [vile] mini-buffer question

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] mini-buffer question
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 07:55:20 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----

| > |
| > | On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 01:11:07 +0100, Paul Fox
| > | <address@hidden>
| > | wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | still a too pessimistic assessment ;-)
| > |
| > | joerg
| >
| > I have an impression that actual users are a lot more than those on
| > the
| > mailing list - perhaps several hundred to low thousands worldwide.
| > That's not really a large number, but it's not negligible.
| >

| Do you have any statistics for the number of Windows downloads?
| How about source?

There are logs, but the site (I use an ISP package...) doesn't do analysis on
the ftp downloads.
I recall that my website gets ~6000 page hits a day, and xterm+ncurses account
for 80-90% of that,
with lynx and vile accounting about about 2/3 of the remainder.

| I always install WinVile when I'm forced to use Windows.  And
| I always install at least xvile under FreeBSD.  Unfortunately,
| since I gave up maintaining the vile/xvile ports it's no longer
| possible to have both installed at the same time :(
|
| Of course, now adays many FreeBSD users install using pkg(7),
| so you wouldn't have any statistics for that.

right.  Debian has popcon (I don't supply figures for that, because
I install lots of packages for no other reason than to research bugs).
It says 193 installs of vile here - http://popcon.debian.org/source/by_inst,
versus (the other programs I work on):

1093292 ncurses,
105126 xterm,
45949 lynx-cur,
26533 diffstat,
23563 dialog,
3464 libcdk5
1756 byacc,
369 bcpp,
105 cproto,
92 vttest,
51 tapecalc (add)

Considering that I work actively on vile (more than lynx),
but not on for several years on bcpp (and not much on cdk),
I would say that vile is under-appreciated.

On the other hand, I wouldn't regard figures from a popularity
contest as usable...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net