vrs-development

Re: Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] More info

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] More info
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 05:34:10 -0800 (PST)

--- Open Source <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have run out of questions at this point of
> time.Wouldn't pester any longer.

Absolutly no problem!  That's how things are getting
fleshed out.

> Any ideas on the Services module framework

This is the biggest blank spot at this point.  Let me
summarize, from the top down, what's been said about
it so far.  None of this has been cast in stone,
except the first part.

First and for most, we need to reaffirm our prime
directive.  Security and Privacy are primary
objective.
Now, I thinking that the most significant implication
of this for the Services Manager is that the LDS host
machine has to be very strongly isolated from any
access to the hosts machines resources.  We need an
iron and concrete sandbox.

We think that a modular, plugin framework is the best
general approach.

We've identified three levels of service, 1) static
file services, i.e. ftp and static http,
2)crossplatform, IL compnent netservice, i.e. PNet.
3)Everything else, i.e. dynamic http and scripting
support.

What levels we can support depends largely on the
Repository file structure design.  A simple file
storage model supports 1).  A truely free standing
encapsulated dataset with both IL logic and data will
suport 2).  A total inode model with a hiearchial file
system will support 3).

We are looking to bring up apachie first.

We have talked a bit about a chroot environment
running as a dedicated user.

The issue of using any system using dynamic linking to
libraries outside the sandbox has been worried about.

And that's about as far as we have gotten to date, I
think.  Unless Chris remembers something I've missed
here.

Oh, also, I don't think there is any reason in hell to
consider ever running this in a MS environment.