vrs-development

Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] More on the Service Manger and SEE

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] More on the Service Manger and SEE
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 06:46:17 -0800 (PST)

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://sports.yahoo.com/
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] More on the Service Manger and SEE Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:26:10 +0000
On Sunday 17 March 2002 16:07, you wrote:
> I had a chance to talk with David Sugar about SEE.

I've always viewed the services being run within the LDS
as running within a closed (sandbox) Virtual Machine
containing all the portableNET stuff and the work that
Rhys has been doing.
This VM I saw as being deployed as a GWService.  The
webService to be executed is passed to the GW VM Service
where it is 'run' and the results passed back out.
However, it should be noted that this webservice may
make 'outgoing' calls to other webservices.

By doing this, anything deployed to and run within an
LDS does so in a sandbox.  Now there are isses with the
libraries within the VM allowing access to the host
filesystem, and chroot etc can go some way to protecting
against that.... or the underlying low-level abstraction
used by pnet are surped to point access back into our
virtual filesystem instead of the physical file system.

And I'm really annoyed that I forgot the meeting was
taking place this weekend!

On the bright side I have goldwater-0.2.4-beta ready
for release, including elementary Perl API support
to get you going.......

watch this space....

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.

--- End Message ---