vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] the project

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] the project
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:47:04 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Terlegård <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> Who is the VRS project for? What was the initial
> reason for starting on VRS?

VRS started in responce to problem of relianace on
central commercial servers for much of the
"WebServices" ideas afloat.  It starts with the
premise that most, if not all, of these services can
be provided from our own machines.  And when they
can't due to limited resources (i.e. bandwitdh and
presence, we can join with others, on our terms, to
provide those additional resources.

> Globus.org - it seems (I took a brief look at their
> website) like they
> develop something similar to VRS, am I right?

Globus is far more generalized than the VRS.

As
> Bill seems quite in love
> with Grids :-) I guess this matter have already been
> discussed?

Grids are an interesting idea, and have a really
useful function.  But there are things it's not suited
for, as in any technical solution.

> There aren't any p2p projects already in progress
> that one could use?

Use for what?  Different project have different goals.
 VRS is the only one related to dotGNU that I know of.