vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] VRS and SEE/DEE goals

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] VRS and SEE/DEE goals
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:01:38 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Terlegård <address@hidden> wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I'm still fumbling a bit. The goals of the SEE/DEE
> and VRS are not that
> well explained, IMHO. It's hard to tell whether they
> should be the same
> project or in what way they overlap.

I can't help you much with the SEE/DEE goals, Tim.
There is not much documentation about it.  What I can
tell you is that it is more oriented to ASP model of
Webservices.  The twist is that provisions are made
for a user to remove their personal data from an ASP
provider and server it up on their local machine.

The VRS goals begin with running those services on
your local machine.  If additional resources are
needed for the particular services, mostly bandwitdh
and presence, the you can expand into a cluster.

The overlap is 'running webservices on a local
machine'.  Weither it's done as a last resort, as in
SEE/DEE, or first resort, as in VRS, the task is the
same.

> When VRS and SEE/DEE goals are well stated, then I
> know where to begin  :-)

Hummmm  ... perhaps I've gotten into a rut.

The system aims for the following goals:

* To allow a user complete control over the content
and access to personal data as webservices

* To maximize reliable availability of webservices

* To maximize the security and privacy of data

* To provide choice of participation and service
selection

As you said, that covers it in a nutsheel in my mind,
without getting wordy.  And the rest of the material
there does get wordy  :)

And there may very well be additional refinements or
perspectives that the goals should cover that we have
not considered yet.

If you can suggest some rewording that might help
clarify it, please do so.

> (I think I'm like Gopal a bit. I might seem like a
> person that just
> complains, but I'm just stating my humble opinions.
> I'm a very nice person
> :-)

haha  ... I'm sure you are.