vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] thoughts

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] thoughts
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:37:29 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Terlegård <address@hidden> wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> What about a platform that supports Mobile Agents
> (essentially program code
> and state that can be sent over the network to be
> executed on another
> computer), VPN, distributed power and space?

I've never entirely understood the reasoning behind
Agents roaming around, executing on various machines.
Purusing around in the manner of a spider and accesses
remote data is another thing.

In many ways, our thinking about a DataSet points to
some of this, I think.  A DataSet is an encapulated
data package containing IL executable methods, a data
structure relevant to the task, and perhaps also
access rules.  The PNet work figures in here with both
the IL compiler and the VM to execute it IL.  From the
VRS perspective, this ia a way to move executable
'webservices' about a cluster transparently.  But they
also seem to have some of the properties of 'agents'.

However, at this point, the thinking about DataSets is
very embyonic and it needs a lot of attention that
it's not yet gotten.

> I recently finished my thesis about Network
> Management and I've gotten quite
> interested in distributed systems, mobile agents
> etc. It'd be very exciting
> developing the platform I described. This platform
> or middleware could be
> used for almost anything, web services and advanced
> network management among
> other things. But VRS maybe covers this? Perhaps
> SEE/DEE as well?

Well, what we cover so far is what's in the docs.
Remember that at this point, the docs are the product.
 We are creating the specs before we build.  If you
see a way that the value of the VRS can be added to,
please talk about it.  We are all designing this thing
from scratch.