web-hurd

Re: French translations proposition for GNU's webpages

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: French translations proposition for GNU's webpages
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:57:06 +0200

Hello!

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 02:07:49AM +0200, cebelabĀ° wrote:
> Firstly, sorry to disturb these email adresses, but I don't know where
> to send my request... If it's not good ones, please just redirect me.

It's absolutely correct to send it here -- this is the place where the
Hurd's web pages are to be discussed.

> So, I'm a young french programmer, very GNU's enthusiast (I mean real
> GNU OS, with Hurd/GNU Mach as servers/kernel), and I would like to take
> part of it as far as it's possible for me...
>
> At this time, I think I don't have required skills to take active part
> in the system developpment... Indeed, I'm quite new in the world of free
> softwares dev., but I hope I'll have a quick progress...

Great! and good luck with that.  If you have any questions that are not
answered from browsing through
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/docs.html> or digging through the list
archives, then just ask (on the help-hurd or bug-hurd mailing lists for
development questions).

> But as I often have to visit GNU website, to inform me on Hurd, Mach
> etc, I've seen that Hurd webpages don't have french translations (only
> English/Hebrew/Polish/Spanish here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html), so if FSF/GNU/Hurd team are
> interested, and if nobody previously started translations, I would be
> happy to do its in my spare time! In addition, this operation could help
> me in many ways: getting my english to become better, getting my Hurd &
> Mach comprehension becoming better, etc...

Nice.  Someone already started to translate one page (`hurd.html') to
French, see <https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?4896> and
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/web-hurd/2005-06/msg00510.html>.
Perhaps you can re-use this.

> So if you're interrested, just let me know and I'll get the work
> started... In this case, please let me know if you have specificals
> working methods about web translation, and how to proceed (if I need to
> send translations in HTML file, or in plain text files, and how to
> present its, how to organize my trees and what's preferred format for
> archives etc...)

There are some instructions on
<http://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.translations.html>.  The best
thing would be if you sent an email to the French translation team,
<https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/french>, and tell them that you would
like to translate the Hurd pages to French.  They should also be able to
grant cvs access to the Hurd web pages to you and give you hints about
how to do the work.  They even have a mailing list for the French
translators: <http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/web-translators-fr>.
Alternatively you could also send the files here and I could install
them, but it's preferred that this is done in cooperation with the
respective translation team.

If there should be any remaining questions, then please ask back here.

Regards,
 Thomas