web-hurd

Re: New wiki system: copyright

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: New wiki system: copyright
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 04:46:12 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:59:50AM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> | The Free Software | Foundation promises to always use either a
> verbatim copying license or a free | documentation license when
> publishing your contribution.

Why the verbatim copying option?

> | If this is absolutely not what you want then you are free allowed --
> after | having spent some more thoughts on it -- to replace *Free
> Software Foundation, | Inc.* with *The Contributing Authors* and
> remove the *By contributing [...] | redistribute your contributions*
> paragraph.

Is this really necessary? I suggest dropping it. If someone really
really doesn't want to assign copyright -- well, nobody forces them to
edit the wiki. Also, they still can change the conditions; explicitely
mentioning the option will only give some people stupid ideas...

> Of course this can only be done automatically when using web-editing,
> but the people using the rcs (i.e. Git) interface for creating new
> pages will usually know what to do.

I guess one could do something using hook sripts, e.g. complain when the
notice is missing, or even add it automatically.

-antrik-